The complete guide of perfect metal stamping design
Metal stamping is one of the most cost-effective,highly efficient, accurately repeatable and widely used manufacturing process in the world. It’s essential to start with the best product designs that ensure optimized part performance, quick turnaround, high quality and minimized costs. So what are the most critical factors to consider when designing your stamped parts?
FORTUNA has worked out a guide for our customers as a design reference.
This guide contains:
*metal stamping process
*different metal stamping dies
*Cost saving consideration
Metal forming is a complex process that can include a number of tactics-blanking, punching, bending and piercing and son on.
Those tactics allow manufactures to produce high-quality and cost-effective metal components. However, each project varies in materials, design and complexity.
Chapter 1: What is the process of metal stamping?
Metal stamping processes are included a wide variety of associated operations. Determine which process is applicable for a particular part is a critical step in the design process.The part design may require one or more process for a complete part.
- Blanking: Blankingis a metal fabricating process, during which a metal work piece is removed from the primary metal strip or sheet when it is punched. The material that is removed is the new metal work piece or blank. Sheet metal blanking on steel, stainless steel, aluminum, copper, brass and alloy is carried out with punching and matrixes.
- Piercing: Piercing is a shearing process where a punch and die are used to create a hole in sheet metal or a plate. The process and machinery are usually the same as that used in blanking, except that the piece being punched out is scrap in the piercing process. An alternative name of piercing is punching.
- Bending: Bending is a process in which the metal is deform in such a way that the length and thickness before bending and after bending remains same. It only changes shape of the work piece.Bending is a process that occurs when a metal is distorted bu deforming the material and changing its shape.
- Forming: Forming is a process that similar to bending and complex parts such as U sections and channel sections of various profiles can be economical produced with multiple bends without altering the material thickness.
- Drawing(Deep & Shallow): Drawing is the process of drawing the blank of sheet metal that is held at the edges, and the middle section of the part is forced by a punch into a die to stretch the metal into a shape defined by the die set.
These are the main processes involved in the design of manufacturing your metal parts in all industries fields: automotive, household appliances, electrical device and many more.
Chapter 2: How to select the best material for your project?
A successful design hinges significantly on the right choice of metal.Select the right material, whether it will be stainless steel, aluminum or cold rolled steel, is to ensuring top-notch quality products.
Depending on specific project needs, there are many parameters we evaluate before proposing the right material, including:
- Material grade
- Material temper
- Material hardness
- Material thickness
- Material tensile strength
- Material weight
- Required tolerance
Materials we’ve stamped:
The materials FORTUNA has stamped included:
- Stainless Steel
- Carbon Steel
- Spring Steel
- Beryllium Copper
- Phosphor Bronze
- Nickel & Nickel Alloys
- Specialty Metals
- And many more….
You can also ask FORTUNA to propose and utilize the most economic, best performing materials for your projects.
Chapter 3: What’s the difference of different metal stamping dies?
When a concept is approved, designers are given a number of dies to create using 3D virtual graphics programs. There are many types of dies for different needs.
Progressive die stamping:The most economical & tight-tolerance metal stamping for high volume productions.
Single-Stage die： Single stage stamping is best suited for small production volumes or simpler parts. Deep drawn parts.
Compund die:Compund die stamping is best suited for simpler, flat metal parts such as washers, gaskets, shims and many more.
Chaper 4: How should I save the cost for metal stamping project?
There are three main factors to optimize the cost of your metal stamping project.
Materials/production volume/secondary processes
- Material selection is usually the first and most effective step to lowering costs. Maybe you can consider an alternative metal with similar properties for your application.For example, copper with different conductivity, the purity of copper decrease and so does the conductivity and price. You can decide which is best suitable for your application among copper/brass/beryllium copper/phosphor bronze etc.. This will help in determining the necessary material performance while ensuring you get the best value. And don’t forget to consider specific manufacturing needs — some metals are more difficult to deep draw than others, which can drive up processing costs.
- Production volume. Simply, the more parts you can manufactured at once, the less it will cost you overall.Setup times – switching out tooling and dies, re-calibrating machinery, getting the materials in place for each client – are a major factor in all manufacturing costs. If you place a large order that your manufacturer can set up once and let run for a good part of the day, you will greatly decrease your overall costs.
- Secondary processes. Usinga manufacturer who does more than just stamping will save money in transport and shipping costs, plus you’ll only need to communicate with one vendor. Some manufacturers offer the full package: additional fabrication, treating, coating, finishing, packaging, and shipping.
Chapter 5: How do I find a company with faster lead times?
A: Lead time for the production of a custom component is usually related to a company’s manufacturing capabilities and work load. The advent of newer metal stamping equipment and technologies have allowed manufacturers to produce high-quality parts at a faster rate. For example, multi-out tooling allows multiple components to be stamped simultaneously.
We hope that some of your most important questions were addressed in this article. Should you have any further questions, our engineering team is more than happy to answer them for you. Feel free to contact us with your questions, and we will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible.